Carbon monoxide is often called the silent killer because it is an odorless, colorless gas that can be deadly. That's why it is so important to install carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
You can purchase a battery operated, wall-mounted unit, or one that plugs into any standard electrical outlet.
On this second type, the digital readout displays the actual carbon monoxide level and, with the push of a button, the unit recalls the highest level of carbon monoxide detected.
You can also get a combination CO and smoke alarm. When the alarm goes off, a recorded voice that tells you whether it's a carbon monoxide emergency or a fire.
Ron recommends a carbon monoxide alarm on each level of your home. But if you only have one, be sure to install it outside the sleeping area.
And remember, CO alarms don't last forever. If yours is more than five years old, it may be time to replace it.